Xiaomi – the apple of China, as it is referred to, has constantly shown that you can get premium devices for cheap prices in comparison to other smartphone brands. After trying out a Mi device last year, I fell in love with the MIUI and their devices give value for your money. With the release of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and Other flagships from LG, HUAWEI etc, the competition is definitely heating up. Xiaomi Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus packs mouthwatering specs, but the best part of is the price.
Like many would agree, the iPhones and Samsungs are somewhat overpriced. The iPhone 7 still comes with outdated features in comparison to other Android flagships but costs a lot more. Apple seems to have lost the innovation they once had since the passing away of Steve Jobs. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is an awesome device no doubt, but isn’t too much of an upgrade in relation to previous Galaxy devices and not forgetting the Galaxy Note 7 exploding batteries saga. That’s why I’m pitching my tent with these Chinese OEMs like Xiaomi, HUAWEI, One Plus, they started out copying, but now they are looking to take over the smartphone industry.
Xiaomi Mi 5S and Mi 5S Plus Features
The Xiaomi Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus was launched on the 27th of September with features that take their 2016 flagship Mi 5 to a whole new level. The Mi 5s comes with the latest Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821 processor, a new fingerprint technology -Ultrasonic under-glass fingerprint sensing technology, and all-new, larger, Sony IMX378 1/2.3″ CMOS camera sensor that’s found only in digital compact cameras.
For those who prefer larger screens like the iPhone 7 Plus, the Mi 5s Plus comes with a larger 5.7-inch display and a dual-camera system for incredible image quality. With two 13-megapixel sensors, one captures in colour while the other only in black and white; they work together to improve image quality, resulting in photos with finer details and less noise. The Mi 5s Plus is also powered by the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821 processor and has a maximum clock speed of 2.35GHz, as well as up to 6GB LPDDR4 RAM and 128GB of UFS 2.0 internal storage. It scored a whopping 164,119 on the Antutu benchmark.
Xiaomi Mi 5s Specs
- Ultra light-sensitive camera
- Sony IMX378 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor
- Buttonless, ultrasonic fingerprint detection
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821 flagship processor
- LPDDR4 RAM + UFS 2.0 Flash
- Full metal body
- 5.15” ultra bright, energy-saving display display
- Maximum 600-nit brightness, uses 16 LED lights
- 95% NTSC color gamut
- Full-feature NFC
- 4G+ Internet
- Quick Charge 3.0
Mi 5s Plus Specs
- 5.7″ energy-saving display with comfortable grip
- Sony 13MP+13MP dual camera
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821 processor
- 6GB RAM + 128GB Flash
- Full feature NFC
Xiaomi Mi 5s Price
The 64GB Model of the Mi 5s cost about $300 while the 128GB goes for about $350
The 4GB/64GB Model of the Mi 5S Plus goes for about $300 while that of the 6GB/128GB costs about $390.
The price of these devices is less than half of Apple’s iPhone 7 and Galaxy Note 7, with features you wouldn’t find in the iPhone 7. So there you have it, if you are looking for alternatives to the Galaxy Note 7 or iPhone 7, Xiaomi offers you a good option that will even save you some bucks.
Latest posts by Frederick Damasus (see all)
- Kapersky Lab Discovers Zero-Day Vulnerability Attacks on Asian and African Banks - November 24, 2016
- This South African School is Offering Degree course in Gaming - November 19, 2016
- Paystack introduces online payment for Nigerian merchants with Shopify Accounts. - November 15, 2016
- Samsung’s Exploding Device Problem: The Galaxy Note 7 isn’t Alone as Samsung Recalls its Top-Loading Washers - November 5, 2016
- Kaspersky Lab to improve cybersecurity in Africa, signs MoU with Smart Africa Alliance - October 31, 2016